Here’s what I learned last week in Women’s Wear Daily…
- Balenciaga’s designer Nicolas Ghesquiere looks back to “Eighties nightclubbing” for influence using black leather, shiny disco fabrics and bold graphic animal prints in the pre-fall collection.
- AllSaints brand was rescued from financial ruin by two private equity firms (caught me by surprise – they opened up a beautiful brand new store in Chicago last year)
- David Beckham is collaborating with retailer H&M to create a bodywear line inspired by his style. Products hit stores on Feb 2, as well as his promotional advertising…nothing like looking at a little eye candy while you’re out-and-about shopping.
- Lanvin designer Alber Elbaz is experimenting with new sewing techniques, shapes and fabrics for the line’s pre-fall collection. Designs show of exposed darts & seams and are created from a unique combination of bonded cotton gabardine and patent leather – like this dress & trench set.
- Most stores reported positive sales compared to last year, but in retrospect may not have gained this Holiday season based on still large inventory levels and large markdown discounts. Retailers who performed strong in December: Nordstrom, Saks, Apple TJX, & Limited Brands (especially Victoria’s Secret). Retails with sales disapointments: GAP, Target, Sears, Abercrombie & Fitch, Aeropostale. The verdict is still out – depends on how many people cash in on their gift cards & make returns throughout the months of January & February. Will you be spending or saving the next two months?