I came across these ‘Wrapped Ear Phones’ from Free People while shopping online a couple weeks ago and thought they were the coolest thing!
However, instead of paying the $48.00 price tag for them, I figured I’d just make my own using the friendship knot I learned at church camp as a kid.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- Ear Buds
- Embroidery Thread (in however many colors your heart desires)
Here’s How You Do It:
1. Pick your color. The best thing about wrapping your own headphones is that you have complete creative control. There are so many colors to choose from and combinations you could come up with – your options are endless!
2. Knot the threads around the headphone cord. (I use the whole skein of thread to make sure I don’t run out of strand in the middle of the project)
3. Pick the color you want to start with first and begin making “4” knots. Make a “4” with a single strand over the top of the cord & other strands. Then wrap it underneath and pull it through. Repeat this as many times until you’ve reached the length you like.
4. Then, simply switch colors and do the same thing. Again, there are so many patterns you could create, or, keep it plain and stick with a solid.
5. When you reach the end, make another knot and you’re finished!
The steps are simple…but don’t be skewed. This art project takes a couple hours to complete. The motion is repetitive and will become mindless, but it still takes time to get all the way to the end.
I went to the park one afternoon; sat, relaxed and enjoyed a couple hours of arts-and-crafts. This is also a good project to do while you’re watching TV or have a couple hours to kill. I took it on the plane with me and it made the four hour flight to Cali a pretty quick trip.
Here are a couple projects I have completed…
Wrapping my ear buds in embroidery thread adds a pop of color, prevents them from tangling, and makes listening to my music a little more stylish.
I hope my instructions are easy to follow – have fun making your own colorful headphones!!!